TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

I've filed my tax return. Can I still make changes?

SOLVEDby TurboTax2040Updated December 20, 2023

You can make changes to a filed tax return by filing an adjustment. The CRA requires that you wait until you’ve received your Notice of Assessment (NOA) before filing an adjustment. In many cases, the CRA will catch the mismatch and automatically adjust your return for you.

How you file your adjustment depends on how your original tax return was filed, and whether it was a federal or Québec return. Instructions on filing adjustments for both scenarios are provided here:

TurboTax Online

If you filed your original return using NETFILE:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax Online account for the tax year you want to prepare an adjustment for.
  2. In Return Manager, select ReFILE beside the filed tax return you want to adjust.

If you printed and mailed your original return or are in a situation excluded from ReFILE:

1. See the CRA’s How to change a return page to make an adjustment online in your CRA My Account or by mail.

Note: This service is no longer available for 2018 or prior year tax returns.

TurboTax Online doesn’t currently support ReFILE of federal tax returns for residents of Québec. See Revenu Quebec’s Changing an income tax return that you have already filed page to make an adjustment online in your Revenu Québec My Account or by mail.

Note: This service is no longer available for 2018 or prior year tax returns.

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Launch your TurboTax CD/Download edition for the tax year you want to prepare an adjustment for.
  2. In Return Manager, select ReFILE beside the filed tax return you want to adjust.

If you printed and mailed your original return or are in a situation excluded from ReFILE:

1. See the CRA’s How to change a return page to make an adjustment online in your CRA My Account or by mail.

1. Launch your TurboTax CD/Download edition for the tax year you want to prepare an adjustment for.
  2. In Return Manager, select Change Return beside the filed tax return you want to adjust.
  3. Make the necessary changes to your tax file, then choose to NETFILE.
  4. Select ReFILE.

See Revenu Quebec’s Changing an income tax return that you have already filed page to make an adjustment online in your Revenu Québec My Account or by mail.

More like this

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads