TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
408 people found this useful

What medical expenses can I claim?

You can claim expenses you paid for various medical products and services, travel expenses for medical treatment, attendant care, expenses for moving to accessible housing, and even premiums you paid to private health services plans.

Eligible expenses: To find out if an expense is eligible, view the list of common medical expenses provided by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Tip: To quickly look up whether an expense is eligible, type your expense name in the filter box.

Note: Tax credit is available only if your total medical expenses for a specified 12-month period goes above the lesser of 3% of your net income and $2,302.

Supporting documentation: You might need to provide supporting documents and satisfy some conditions to be able to claim certain medical expenses. To find out if there are any specific requirements to claim a certain medical expense, view CRA’s page with details on medical expenses.

Expense claims based on invoice dates: On you tax return, you have the flexibility to choose a claim period for your medical expenses that’s different from the calendar year (Jan 1 – Dec 31). The last day of your chosen 12-month period must fall within the tax year of your return. You can claim all eligible medical expenses with dates that fall within your chosen claim period.

Spouse/common-law partner and dependant’s expenses: You can claim your own medical expenses that you paid for and that of your spouse/partner, as well as the expenses of the following family members:

  • Your children, or your spouse/partner's children, age 18 and under, who depended on you for support during the tax year; and
  • Your, or your spouse/partner's, children over 18, parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, or nephews who depended on you for support and lived with you during the tax year, or who have been a resident of Canada during the tax year.

The residency condition does not apply if the dependant was your, or your spouse/partner’s, child or grandchild.


Related information