TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
8 people found this useful

What tuition and education expenses can a student claim?

As a student, you can claim the following expenses:

  • Tuition: fees for courses which are taken at a qualifying post-secondary institution and cost more than $100. To claim the credit, you should receive either a completed T2202A form (Education & Textbook Amount Certificate) or an official tax receipt from your college or university.
  • Education: As a full-time student you can claim is $400 per month. As a part-time student, you can claim $120 per month.
  • Textbooks: As a full-time or part-time student, you can claim a monthly amount based on calculations shown on the T2202A form.
  • Public Transit expenses: You can claim the full amount you paid for public transit during the year. Keep your receipts and expired passes as proof of your claim.
  • Moving Expenses: You can claim this deduction if you are attending a post-secondary institution full-time, are moving at least 40 kilometres closer to your school, and you are receiving scholarships, bursaries or other prizes that were included in your taxable income — not your total income.
  • Childcare expenses: You can claim this monthly payment when child care is required for you – the parent – to attend classes.
  • Interest paid on a student loan: Only you – the student – can claim this non-refundable tax credit, regardless of who actually paid the interest. If you don’t need to claim the interest to reduce tax payable to zero, this amount can carried forward for up to five years.
  • Canada employment credit: Everyone who was an employee during the year can claim this amount.
  • GST/HST credit: If you are over the age of 19, you are eligible to receive the payment four times a year. You apply for the credit automatically when you file your tax return.

For more information on what students can claim, and deductions that students often miss, see Student Tax Deductions in Canada.

Helpful Resources

Checklist for students using TurboTax Free

Helpful Tax Information For Students