TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

Why does the basic personal amount (line 300) on Schedule 1 show an incorrect amount?

If you were a resident of Canada for the entire year, then your Basic Personal amount for the year should be the maximum available credit for Line 300. If you lived in Canada only part of the year, then the amount will be adjusted according to the time you spent in Canada.

If you feel the Basic Personal amount is incorrect, you will need to change the information entered in the Information about your residence section of the T1 General. If you are using the EasyStep Interview

  1. Click on the IntroductionTab.
  2. Click Continue until you reach the Information for [taxpayer] screen
  3. Scroll down to the Residency section. For the question: Did your Canadian Residency Change In (YEAR)? , enter the date you 

    • Became a resident of Canada in [tax year] to enter a date of entry;
      • Enter income earned from Canadian sources and Foreign sources in the applicable fields.
    • Ceased to be a resident of Canada in [tax year] to enter a date of departure.