TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
5 people found this useful

How do I install TurboTax from CD on Windows 7?

Follow the instructions below to install TurboTax on your computer using the CD. You might find it helpful to print out this page so that you can easily follow the step-by-step process while installing TurboTax.

Before you begin:

Steps to install TurboTax

1. Close all open programs.
  2. To avoid problems with activating TurboTax, temporarily disable all antivirus, firewall, and antispyware software.
  3. Insert the TurboTax CD into your computer's DVD/CD drive.
  4. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, skip this step and go to Step 5. Otherwise, do one of the following:
    • If the AutoPlay window appears, choose Run setup.exe.
    • If a window appears that lists the contents of the CD, double-click the setup (.exe) file. Note that the file name starts with a small "s".
    • If nothing happens, complete the following steps:
      1. On your keyboard, hold down the Windows logo key the Windows logo key, and then press E (or, click the Start button on the Windows taskbar, and then click Computer).
      2. In the window that appears, double-click the DVD/CD drive containing TurboTax/IR-2016.
      3. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, skip this step and go to Step 5. Otherwise, do the following:
        1. Unless a window is already open that lists the contents of the TurboTax CD, right-click the DVD/CD drive, and then click Open.
        2. Double-click the setup (.exe) file. Note that the file name starts with a small "s".

5. In the User Account Control dialog box, do one of the following:
    • If you are not asked to enter any password, click Yes.

Windows 7 User Account Control dialog box TurboTax 2016 Installation

The TurboTax/ImpotRapide 2016 - InstallShield Wizard page appears.

• If you are asked to enter the administrator password, do the following:
      1. Note the name of the user account above the password field, and then click No.
      2. Log off from Windows, log back in using the account you noted above (or as any user who is an administrator), and then start over from Step 1.

6. On the TurboTax/ImpotRapide 2016 - InstallShield Wizard page, in the drop-down list, choose the language in which you want to install TurboTax, and then click OK.

Choose the language of TurboTax when installing the TurboTax CD/download edition for tax year 2016

7. If a page appears with the message that Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Full and/or Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package is required, click Install. Otherwise, skip this step and go to the next step (Step 8).

TurboTax might require Microsoft .NET Framework or Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package

8. On the Welcome to Setup for TurboTax 2016 page, click Next.

Welcome to Setup for TurboTax 2016 on Windows 7

9. Follow the instructions on the screen, clicking Next to move through the process.
  10. On the Ready to Install TurboTax 2016 page, click Install.

Ready to Install TurboTax 2016 installer screen

11. After a short time, the Setup Completed page appears.

12. On the Setup Completed page, click Finish.
  13. The Enter Installation Key page appears.

14. On the Enter Installation key page, enter your installation key, and then click Next.

Enter Installation Key page during TurboTax for tax year 2016 installation

15. The Choose Activation Method page appears.

16. On the Choose Activation Method page, click Next.

Choose Activation Method page during the installation of TurboTax for Tax Year 2016 on Windows 7

The Activation Successful page appears.

17. On the Activation Successful page, click Finish.

Activation successful message page after TurboTax Installation completes on Windows 7

After you finish:

Enable all antivirus, firewall, and antispyware software that you disabled before installing TurboTax. 

Related Information:

I'm having problems installing TurboTax from a CD. What can I do?

Where can I download the current version of TurboTax CD/download edition?

What are the minimum system requirements for the current version of the CD or download edition of TurboTax?

What can I do if I lost my TurboTax installation key?

Why am I getting TurboTax activation error messages?