TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
88 people found this useful

How do I transfer my unused tuition credits to someone else?

Enter the amount of unused tuition credits you’re designating to someone else in the DEDUCTIONS > Students step in TurboTax.

Use TurboTax to calculate how much you can transfer and to designate an amount. Once you’ve done that, tell the person you’re transferring the amount to so they can include it on their return.

If you need to claim tuition transferred to you from your child or spouse/partner, see instead How do I enter tuition transferred from my spouse or child?

First, if you haven’t already, enter your income information and tuition amounts.

TurboTax uses your income and tuition and education information to calculate the maximum amount you can transfer.

Next, enter how much of your tuition credit you’d like to transfer to someone else:

Using the online edition of TurboTax:

1. Select Find at the top-right of your screen and type “student” into the search field.

2. Select Students from the search results and then select Go.

3. On the Student Profile step, select Transfer of tuition and education, and then select Continue.

4. On the Transfer Tuition and Education (Federal) step, enter the federal amount you want to transfer in the field for the recipient.

Note: TurboTax displays the maximum amount you can transfer at the top of the step, based on the income and tuition and education information you entered.

5. Select Continue.

6. On the Transfer Tuition and Education (Provincial) step, enter the provincial amount you want to transfer.

7. Make a note of the amount(s) you entered.

8. Select Continue.

9. Tell the person you’re transferring your unused tuition amounts to what the amounts are, so they can enter them on their return.

Using the CD/download edition of TurboTax:

1. Select Find at the top-right of your screen and type “student” into the search field.

2. Select Students from the search results and then select Go.

3. On the Student Profile step, select Transfer of tuition and education, and then select Continue.

4. On the Transfer Tuition (Federal) step, enter the federal amount you want to transfer and select who you’re transferring to.

Note: TurboTax displays the maximum amount you can transfer at the top of the step, based on the income and tuition and education information you entered.

5. Select Continue.

6. On the Transfer Tuition and Education (Provincial) step, enter the amount you’re transferring (and select who you’re transferring to, if you didn’t transfer a federal amount).

7. Make a note of the amount(s) you entered.

8. Select Continue.

9. Tell the person you’re transferring the unused tuition amounts to what the amounts are, so they can enter them on their return.

Related Information: