Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WFergie

I am ineligible to contribute to an RRSP; if I contribute to an RRSP for my spouse does she have to declare it as income? Yes or No?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am ineligible to contribute to an RRSP; if I contribute to an RRSP for my spouse does she have to declare it as income? Yes or No?

No, but it counts on your return as a contribution by you.  If it is cashed in within 3 years, the income is booked to you.

Per CRA:

"Contributions you make to a spousal or common-law partner RRSP reduce your RRSP deduction limit. The total amount you can deduct for contributions you make to your RRSP or your spouse's or common-law partner's RRSP cannot be more than your RRSP deduction limit. For more information, see How much can I contribute and deduct?"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No, but it counts on your return as a contribution by you.  If it is cashed in within 3 years, the income is booked to you.

Per CRA:

"Contributions you make to a spousal or common-law partner RRSP reduce your RRSP deduction limit. The total amount you can deduct for contributions you make to your RRSP or your spouse's or common-law partner's RRSP cannot be more than your RRSP deduction limit. For more information, see How much can I contribute and deduct?"

WFergie

Thank you; this cleared up my concern

Glad to help. :smile::smile: