Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add information to previously filed returns?

I already filed my 2012 return, but now I want to add information to it and have my return re-assessed.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It isn't possible to refile a return for any year you have already filed, unless CRA requests you to for any reason.  If you have new or modified information for 2012 tax year, you must file an adjustment using form T1-Adj.
On this form you udentify only what has changed ,  on a specific line or lines of your return.
You also must supply a copy of any new tax slip, receipt or other document relating to the change. For instance, a new or changed T4 slip.

CRA will perform a reassessment of your return, on the basis of the T1-Adj. input.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

It isn't possible to refile a return for any year you have already filed, unless CRA requests you to for any reason.  If you have new or modified information for 2012 tax year, you must file an adjustment using form T1-Adj.
On this form you udentify only what has changed ,  on a specific line or lines of your return.
You also must supply a copy of any new tax slip, receipt or other document relating to the change. For instance, a new or changed T4 slip.

CRA will perform a reassessment of your return, on the basis of the T1-Adj. input.

I would modify this answer a little...it is correct that you would need to provide any receipts or documentation to support the adjustment you are requesting CRA to make on your tax return.  However, if the change you are requesting increases the amount of a credit or deduction already claimed, you would need to provide ALL receipts and documentation to support your new value.  For example...you have already claimed $1000 in RRSP deductions for your 2012 tax return, and you have found/located a receipt for an additional $500.  When you are asked to provide documentation, you would need to have receipts/documentation for the whole $1500.

Something else to consider...there are some changes where CRA may already have the documentation.  An example of this is when the Disability Tax Credit is approved by CRA, it may often be approved for prior tax years.  If this is the case, then you would just need to ask CRA to adjust the appropriate tax years to include the Disability Tax Credit as per their own records.

Taxpayers are able to sign up for "My Account" on the CRA website...as well as allowing the taxpayer to see the status of tax returns and check for tax slips and other information, this also allows taxpayers to request adjustments to returns already filed, and to do so right on the CRA website.  Especially if it is an adjustment using information that CRA already has, the processing time for this can be much quicker than submitting a request by mail. 

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/myaccount/

I would modify this answer a little...it is correct that you would need to provide any receipts or documentation to support the adjustment you are requesting CRA to make on your tax return. However, if the change you are requesting increases the amount of a credit or deduction already claimed, you would need to provide ALL receipts and documentation to support your new value. For example...you have already claimed $1000 in RRSP deductions for your 2012 tax return, and you have found/located a receipt for an additional $500. When you are asked to provide documentation, you would need to have receipts/documentation for the whole $1500.

Something else to consider...there are some changes where CRA may already have the documentation. An example of this is when the Disability Tax Credit is approved by CRA, it may often be approved for prior tax years. If this is the case, then you would just need to ask CRA to adjust the appropriate tax years to include the Disability Tax Credit as per their own records.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes you should send in the relevant slips for the specific T1-Adj. that has been submitted