Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I compete a return for both myself and my wife using only 1 return with Turbo Tax Standard online? I'm trying to see if I can use the same return for both incomes.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I compete a return for both myself and my wife using only 1 return with Turbo Tax Standard online? I'm trying to see if I can use the same return for both incomes.

You would do what is called a couples return, which is two returns in one.

Add a Spousal Return: TurboTax Online

Note: If you already started a return and did not indicate that you want to prepare your spouse's return at the same time, you must start a new return. However, you can do this using your original account. Once you've logged in to TurboTax Online, use the Return Manager to create a new return. 

TurboTax Online can be used to do single or coupled returns. To prepare a coupled return (or "spousal" return):

1. Go to http://Turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/personal-products/online-compare.jsp.
  2. Select the version you wish to try, then click Start Now or Start for Free
  3. ***If you have an existing return, enter your User ID and Password under the Returning Customer column.
  4. ***If you do not have an existing return, Click Try it Free under the New to TurboTax Online column.
  5. View and agree to the TurboTax License Agreement to proceed into TurboTax.
  6. Choose a TurboTax product (Standard, Premier, or Home & Business.), then click the appropriate Try it free button.
  7. On the Marital Status screen, select Married or Living Common-law
  8. Choose Yes to the question 'Do you want to prepare your spouse or common-law partner's return at the same time as your return?' This will indicate you want to prepare your returns together.

Note: You cannot change your selection later. To do so, you must start a new return and re-enter all of your tax information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You would do what is called a couples return, which is two returns in one.

Add a Spousal Return: TurboTax Online

Note: If you already started a return and did not indicate that you want to prepare your spouse's return at the same time, you must start a new return. However, you can do this using your original account. Once you've logged in to TurboTax Online, use the Return Manager to create a new return. 

TurboTax Online can be used to do single or coupled returns. To prepare a coupled return (or "spousal" return):

1. Go to http://Turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/personal-products/online-compare.jsp.
  2. Select the version you wish to try, then click Start Now or Start for Free
  3. ***If you have an existing return, enter your User ID and Password under the Returning Customer column.
  4. ***If you do not have an existing return, Click Try it Free under the New to TurboTax Online column.
  5. View and agree to the TurboTax License Agreement to proceed into TurboTax.
  6. Choose a TurboTax product (Standard, Premier, or Home & Business.), then click the appropriate Try it free button.
  7. On the Marital Status screen, select Married or Living Common-law
  8. Choose Yes to the question 'Do you want to prepare your spouse or common-law partner's return at the same time as your return?' This will indicate you want to prepare your returns together.

Note: You cannot change your selection later. To do so, you must start a new return and re-enter all of your tax information.