How do I enter dependants in online editions of TurboTax?
When you start a new return, TurboTax will ask: ‘Do you have children or financially support another person?’ in the Setting up section of your return.
To jump back to this step in your TurboTax return:
- In the upper-right corner of your screen, select Find*.
- In the Find window, type Dependants and select Go.
- Answer Yes to the question ‘Do you have children or financially support another person?’
- Complete the section ‘Tell us about your dependant(s)’.
- Select Continue.
Info about your dependant (like their birthdate, their relationship to you and their income) is used to determine your eligibility for certain credits and deductions so be sure to enter this info accurately.
Important: You cannot claim your spouse or common-law partner as a dependant, even if they have no income.
* If you don’t see the Find button, you may not have completed the Setting Up section on your return. Continue through the Setting Up section until the Find button appears.
- Who can I claim as a dependant?
- Can I claim my spouse or common-law partner as my dependent?
- What is the amount for an eligible dependant?
- How do I enter dependants in the CD/download edition of TurboTax?