Error in med expenses worksheet! It will not allow use of T4A reported plan costs for 12m. period spread over 2yrs - uses current yr T4A amount. CRA says its a wksht err.

I spoke at length with your rep to no avail - she recommended I talk to the CRA but gave me the wrong tel number. Incident # xxxxxxxxx.  I did call them and they said it was a TurboTax worksheet problem! 

I tried to use a reporting period of 12m spread over 2 yrs (6m in 2014 & 6m in 2015) to max my deduction - as allowed by the CRA.  However, your worksheet will not allow the option of using anything other than the T4A reported amount (box 135).  This is an error in logic in your worksheet.  Normally what is programmed will be sufficient - namely, you claim expenses in the current tax year and thus would use the amount in T4A box 135.  But if the 12m period goes back into the previous year, and the amount paid for the private health care policy changes over that period, the T4A amount for the current year is not the correct cost; it will usually be too high.  There is NO way to change it other than overriding the entry using F2 which means I cannot eFile.  Not what I paid for!

The worksheet needs an additional line or two of code to allow people to use the amount reported in the current year T4A slip or to use another amount for the 12m period based on the fraction of previous year T4A box 135 filing and the corresponding fraction of the current year amount. Both must be T4A filed amounts.  Very simple.

I cannot believe this has not been pointed out in the past.  After using this software and some predecessor versions for almost 20 yrs, it really causes me to  wonder what other lapses in logic are in the program.  Please look into this and fix it. 

Answer

Unfortunately, since the T4A amount is specifically for a calendar year, there is not much you can do but stick to a calendar year.  You can't choose a calendar year for part of the medical and split years for the rest of the medical.  Professional grade tax software has the same issue.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community