Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abideen

I claim the caregiver amount for my adult and disabled son who lives in my house. Can I also have him pay rent to me without impacting my claim for the caregiver amount?

If my disabled adult son lives in my residence and I take care of him but he pays me rent (from his social assistance money), will I still be able to claim the caregiver amount and family caregiver amount? My fear is that the CRA will see that I receive income from him as rent and decide that the care will be compromised because I am not providing him with free accommodation.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I claim the caregiver amount for my adult and disabled son who lives in my house. Can I also have him pay rent to me without impacting my claim for the caregiver amount?

Yes, you can do that.  Not a problem, but depending on your income, be prepared to pay tax on the income.  You will show it as rental income, which will allow you to deduct a portion of heat, light, and water, as well as house insurance against the income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you can do that.  Not a problem, but depending on your income, be prepared to pay tax on the income.  You will show it as rental income, which will allow you to deduct a portion of heat, light, and water, as well as house insurance against the income.