How do I install TurboTax for the current tax year after I download it from the Internet?
Note: If you purchased TurboTax on CD and it won’t install, please download a copy of the software from this link instead: Download the CD/download edition of TurboTax
Things you need to consider before you begin installing TurboTax
- To ensure that TurboTax is compatible with your system, review the system requirements.
- Keep your TurboTax installation key
- Log on to Windows using an account with administrator privileges; that is, do NOT use guest accounts or standard user accounts. (How to determine user account type in Windows)
- To activate your TurboTax software, make sure you have Internet access from your computer. Alternatively, you can activate TurboTax over the phone.
- To ensure that the TurboTax activation process over the Internet goes smoothly, consider temporarily disabling all antivirus, firewall, and antispyware software.
Step-by-step instructions for installing TurboTax
- Open the Downloads folder or the location where you downloaded the TurboTax installer.
- To start the installation process, double-click the TurboTax installer.
The TurboTax installer file name is TurboTaxXXXX_*YYYY.exe, where XXXX represents the tax year and *YYYY represents the build number.
- Follow the instructions on the screen, clicking Next to move through the process.
- On the Ready to Install screen, select Install.
- Once the installation is complete, select Finish.
The Enter Installation Key window appears.
- Enter your installation key and select Next.
The Choose Activation Method screen appears.
- Select an activation method and complete the instructions on the screen.
(We recommend Internet Activation.)
Things to do after you finish installing
Enable all antivirus, firewall, and antispyware software if you disabled them before installing TurboTax.
- What can I do if I lost my TurboTax installation key?
- Why am I getting TurboTax activation error messages?
- Where can I download the current version of TurboTax CD/download edition?
- What are the minimum system requirements for the current version of the CD or download edition of TurboTax?