How do I install TurboTax for the current tax year after I download it from the Internet?
Follow the instructions below to install the CD/download edition of TurboTax on your computer.
Before you begin:
- To ensure that TurboTax is compatible with your system, review the system requirements.
- Keep your TurboTax installation key handy.
- Log on to Windows using an account with administrator priviledges, that is, do NOT use guest accounts or standard user accounts. (How to determine user account type in Windows).
- To activate your TurboTax software, make sure you have Internet access from your computer. Alternatively, you can activate TurboTax over the phone.
Steps to install TurboTax
- Open the Downloads folder or the location where you downloaded the TurboTax installer.
- To start the installation process, double-click the TurboTax installer.
- Follow the instructions on the screen, clicking Next to move through the process.
- On the Ready to Install screen, select Install.
- Once the installation is complete, select Finish.
The Enter Installation Key window appears.
- Enter your installation key and select Next.
The Choose Activation Method screen appears.
- Select an activation method and complete the instructions on the screen.
(We recommend Internet Activation.)
After you finish:
Enable all antivirus, firewall, and antispyware software that you disabled before installing TurboTax.
- Where can I download the current version of TurboTax CD/download edition?
- What are the minimum system requirements for the current version of the CD or download edition of TurboTax?
- What can I do if I lost my TurboTax installation key?
- Why am I getting TurboTax activation error messages?