child benefits amount

Hi, I would like to know how much child benefits we will get for our 2 children for 2017. I filled the 2016 tax so i can see whether it is good idea to put some money in RRSP to reduce net-income and get more child benefits ( my tax bracket is closed to 36% and we got very little from child benefits last year). Where do i see this amount in Turbo tax software? Is there any section where it calculate the eligible amount for us in turbo tax software?

Answer

Once you get to the end of the process and complete the return Turbo Tax generates the estimated amount of benefits.

CRA has calculators available on their website which provide an estimate where you can revise income amounts. 

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/benefits-calculator/

Generally speaking, by the sound of your tax bracket you would be out of the range of eligibility as this benefit is provided for households with lower net income.

From CRA:
Basic benefit for July 2016 to June 2017

We calculate the Canada child benefit (CCB) as follows:

• $6,400 per year ($533.33 per month) for each eligible child under the age of six
  • $5,400 per year ($450.00 per month) for each eligible child aged 6 to 17

We start to reduce the amount of CCB you get when your adjusted family net income (AFNI) is over $30,000. The reduction is calculated as follows:

• families with one eligible child: the reduction is 7% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 3.2% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000

• families with two eligible children: the reduction is 13.5% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 5.7% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000

• families with three eligible children: the reduction is 19% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 8% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000

• families with four or more eligible children: the reduction is 23% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 9.5% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
TurboTaxStef , CPA, CGA
Employee

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community