Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bob-davis

Can I use the auto fill feature for filing estate tax returns for my deceased parents? Are there rules, I should be aware of for these final income tax returns?

Both my parents died last year, Dad passed in Jan 2016 so I submitted a 2015 return on his behalf. He had 1 month of income in 2016 so I need to file a final return for 2016. Mom passed in May 2016 so her 2015 return was submitted normally. She had a significant RIFF payout to her beneficiaries on her death. We also made a large charitable donation from her estate funds. There was interest paid from Canada Savings Bonds and the bonds were redeemed into respective estates.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I use the auto fill feature for filing estate tax returns for my deceased parents? Are there rules, I should be aware of for these final income tax returns?

We are sorry to hear of your loss.

With regards to using auto-fill, it is available for use (after Feb 20) however to ensure accuracy as slips may not be available for download until end of March for certain types of income, ensure that you are aware of what to expect and avoid filing with missing information. In addition, to access this information you will need the deceased's "My Account" information to log in and should also be noted as their Authorized Representative.

A few specifics to keep in mind when filing a final return follow:

·        The returns must be filed via regular mail, NetFile is not accepted

·        The RIF documentation that would have been received has key info that will need to be entered in Turbo Tax   aside from any T4-RIF slips

·        The estate will be responsible for any taxes owing

View solution in original post

1 Reply

We are sorry to hear of your loss.

With regards to using auto-fill, it is available for use (after Feb 20) however to ensure accuracy as slips may not be available for download until end of March for certain types of income, ensure that you are aware of what to expect and avoid filing with missing information. In addition, to access this information you will need the deceased's "My Account" information to log in and should also be noted as their Authorized Representative.

A few specifics to keep in mind when filing a final return follow:

·        The returns must be filed via regular mail, NetFile is not accepted

·        The RIF documentation that would have been received has key info that will need to be entered in Turbo Tax   aside from any T4-RIF slips

·        The estate will be responsible for any taxes owing