TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
28 people found this useful

What do I do if I have a T4 slip with no matching RL-1 slip or an RL-1 slip with no matching T4?

Unfortunately, not all employers issue their employees matching federal and Québec slips. How you enter your amounts in your tax return depends on where your employer is based and on what combination of slips you were issued.

When your employer is established in Québec

I have a T4 and a matching RL-1

1. Enter the info from your T4 slip first, including your employer’s name, then select the Save T4 & Enter Relevé 1

Amounts from your T4 are automatically transferred to your RL-1 for you, since they’re often the same.

2. Review the amounts in each box, changing them to match your RL-1 as needed, and then select the Save and Continue

I have a RL-1 with no matching T4

This situation occurs when you have taxable benefits from a previous employer, like a private medical plan, that was provided by your ex-employer before you retired.

1. On the T4 entry step, enter only the employer’s name, select QC for the province of employment in box 10 and then select the Save T4 & Enter Relevé 1

The employer’s name and province of employment will transfer to the RL-1.

2. Complete the rest of the RL-1 with the information from your slip then select the Save and Continue

I have two T4s and one RL-1

Usually, when your employer issues you two T4s and one Relevé 1, it’s because you were under different Employment Insurance rates during the year.

1. Manually sum the amounts from your two T4s.

2. Enter the amounts in TurboTax as if they were from a single T4 and select the Save T4 & Enter Relevé 1

Amounts from your T4 are automatically transferred to your RL-1 for you since they’re often the same.

3. Review the amounts in each box, changing them to match your RL-1 as needed, and then select the Save and Continue

When your employer is outside of Québec

I have a T4 and a matching RL-1

This situation often happens when you are working in a province other than Québec but your employer also has offices in Québec and you are getting a Relevé 1 for a private medical plan that is being paid for by your employer.

1. Enter the amounts from your T4 slip first, including your employer’s name, then select the Save T4 & Skip Relevé 1

2. On the T4 – Relevé 1 Summary step, select the Add T4 – Relevé 1 

3. On the T4 entry screen, enter only the employer’s name, select QC for the province of employment in box 10 and then select the Save T4 & Enter Relevé 1

4. Complete the rest of the RL-1 with the information from your slip (probably box A or J or a combination of both) and then select the Save and Continue

I have two T4s and one RL-1

This situation often occurs when:

• you work in a province other than Québec
  • your employer also has offices in Québec
  • you are getting a Relevé 1 for a private medical plan that is being paid by your employer

1. Enter the amounts from a T4 slip first, including your employer’s name, then select the Save T4 & Skip Relevé 1

2. On the T4 – Relevé 1 Summary step, select the Add T4 – Relevé 1 

3. On the second T4, enter only the employer’s name, select QC for the province of employment in box 10 and then select the Save T4 & Enter Relevé 1

4. Complete the rest of the RL-1 with the information from your slip (probably box A or J or a combination of both) and then select the Save and Continue

I have a T4 and no matching RL-1

Even though you are a resident of Québec, in some situations (when your employer does not have a permanent office in Québec), you will only receive a T4 to report your employment income and no matching relevé.

1. Enter the amounts from your T4 slip, including your employer’s name, then select the Save T4 & Skip Relevé 1

Important: On the T4 – Relevé 1 Summary step, you will see an amount in the Relevé 1 Box A column. Do not remove this amount.

Your income amounts are reported this way because even if you did not receive a Relevé 1, you must pay taxes on your Québec tax return for this employment income.

Related Information

HOW26019
p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L7c5J3OY9_CA_en_CA