Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksenese1

My daughters braces totalling $2760 were not claimed for 2015. Can I include them on this years return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My daughters braces totalling $2760 were not claimed for 2015. Can I include them on this years return?

No, you can only deduct medical expenses for the tax year in which they were paid. For example, medical expenses incurred during 2016 can only be deducted on your 2016 tax return.

If you weren't required to file a tax return in the year you paid the expenses, that deduction is lost; you can't carry it forward to a future tax year.

If you forgot to claim deductible medical expenses for tax years 2014 through 2016, you can always amend those returns to include the expenses. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, you can only deduct medical expenses for the tax year in which they were paid. For example, medical expenses incurred during 2016 can only be deducted on your 2016 tax return.

If you weren't required to file a tax return in the year you paid the expenses, that deduction is lost; you can't carry it forward to a future tax year.

If you forgot to claim deductible medical expenses for tax years 2014 through 2016, you can always amend those returns to include the expenses. 

taxnano

It doesn't have to be the tax year. It should be a receipt that begins in 2015 and ends in 2016 as long as it's within 12 months ending in 2016.