How do I report the sale of my home (principal residence)?
Enter information about the sale of your principal residence in the INCOME step of TurboTax.
In online or CD/download editions of TurboTax (Interview method):
- Open the Find tool at the top-right of your screen and type “principal residence” into the search field.
- Select Principal residence from the options that appear, and then select Go.
- On the Sale of your Principal Residence screen, select Sale of principal residence and then select Continue.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to enter information related to the sale.
In the CD/download edition of TurboTax (Forms method):
- Select Forms at the top of your screen and type “principal residence” into the search field.
- Select *PRWS – Principal Residence designation worksheet from the options that appear.
- Enter information about the sale on the Principal Residence Designation Worksheet.
Note: NETFILE error 40179 occurs if you indicate that you sold your principal residence but do not enter information about the sale. This prevents you from using NETFILE until you enter information about the sale.