Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
as0

What year do I use to enter the income for the job that I moved to when I'm carrying forward moving expenses?

I moved near the end of 2015. The rules stated I had to carry my claim forward.  "If you moved to be employed or carry on a business, enter your net income for the year from employment or self-employment in the new work location."  Which year? The income I made from the new job in 2015 or the income I made in 2016 (this year's taxes)? Why wouldn't this box be pre-populated using information I've already entered on my return?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What year do I use to enter the income for the job that I moved to when I'm carrying forward moving expenses?

net income from the new location for this year(2016).  The carryforward of moving expenses should be allowable moving expense - net income at new work location for 2015. Because if you had any income from new location in 2015, you should have claimed moving expenses their first. Any amount leftover is available to claim in 2016.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

net income from the new location for this year(2016).  The carryforward of moving expenses should be allowable moving expense - net income at new work location for 2015. Because if you had any income from new location in 2015, you should have claimed moving expenses their first. Any amount leftover is available to claim in 2016.

as0

Ok, that makes sense, but why did you say 2015 in the second sentence? Did you mean 2016?

Just wanted to make clear that if you had any income from your new work location in 2015, that you should have claimed moving expenses up to the net income for 2015(new location) and whatever is leftover will be able to claim in 2016.