Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpiercy

Where do I deduct money on the Tax Return to transfer to my spouse and do I just add it to my spouse?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do I deduct money on the Tax Return to transfer to my spouse and do I just add it to my spouse?

To do this you have to be self employed.  If you are, and your wife actually did perform work for your business, you would be able to include your wife as a subcontractor and your wife would include the income on her return as self employed income.  If the amount is less than $3500 your wife could include it as casual income (other employment income).

You do need to be able to demonstrate that your spouse did indeed perform a duty for your business, and the compensation needs to be reasonable.  You can't claim paying her $50,000 for sweeping a home office once a week.

If the work performed is actually significant in time spent then you need to look into registering a payroll account and then deducting payroll deductions and remitting them on a regular basis.  

All this is moot if you are not self employed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are you referring to Pension splitting? Otherwise, what you are suggesting is not permitted by CRA.
mpiercy

I am talking about smart tip -" Consider paying your spouse or child a reasonable wage for their services"

That is a tax planning strategy that is implemented outside your tax returns.

To do this you have to be self employed.  If you are, and your wife actually did perform work for your business, you would be able to include your wife as a subcontractor and your wife would include the income on her return as self employed income.  If the amount is less than $3500 your wife could include it as casual income (other employment income).

You do need to be able to demonstrate that your spouse did indeed perform a duty for your business, and the compensation needs to be reasonable.  You can't claim paying her $50,000 for sweeping a home office once a week.

If the work performed is actually significant in time spent then you need to look into registering a payroll account and then deducting payroll deductions and remitting them on a regular basis.  

All this is moot if you are not self employed.