TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
68 people found this useful

I’m separated or divorced, so why am I being asked for information about my former spouse/partner?

If your marital status changed from married or common-law to separated or divorced during the tax year: You’re still required to enter some information about your former spouse to complete your return and assess your eligibility for certain credits. The change may not affect your bottom line, but it’s required to complete your return.

If you didn’t separate or get divorced during the tax year: Follow the instructions below and TurboTax won’t ask you questions about your spouse.

Instructions for the TurboTax online edition

1. Select the image of the magnifying glass (or Find) in the upper-right area of TurboTax.

2. Enter “marital status” in the Find window.

3. Select Marital Status from the list of results, and then select Go.

The What’s your marital status? step appears.

4. Select the answer to On December 31, 20xx, you were (where "20xx” is the tax year).

5. Select No where it says Did you separate from your spouse/partner in 20xx? (where “xx” is the tax year).

6. Select Continue.

Instructions for the TurboTax CD/download edition

1. Select the image of the magnifying glass (or Find) in the upper-right area of TurboTax.

2. Enter “marital status” in the Find window.

3. Select Marital status changes since December 31 from the list of results, and then select Go.

The Marital status changes since December 31 step appears.

4. Select No in answer to the question Did you marry, become common-law, divorce, become widowed, or separate from your spouse or common-law partner since December 31, 20xx? (where “20xx” is the year before the tax year).

Related information

p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L9arxCD2G_CA_en_CA