Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gaetan

When calculating my Capital Cost Allowance, turbotax gives me a lower base amount than the total (as if there were dispositions but there were none). Reason for this?

It should be:
UCC start of the year + cost of additions = base amount

Turbotax gives me a much lower base amount.
When checking my detailed return from last year I see that turbotax automatically included an adjustment (additions minus dispositions) but there were no dispositions!
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When calculating my Capital Cost Allowance, turbotax gives me a lower base amount than the total (as if there were dispositions but there were none). Reason for this?

Have you allowed for the fact that any depreciable items purchased in the tax year are subject to the half year rule?  If you purchased something for $2000 it is only going to add $1000 to the base amount, as you are only allowed half the depreciation on that item.

On this link, please check out the heading "Column 6 - Adjustments for current year acquisitions"

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4002-business-prof...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Have you allowed for the fact that any depreciable items purchased in the tax year are subject to the half year rule?  If you purchased something for $2000 it is only going to add $1000 to the base amount, as you are only allowed half the depreciation on that item.

On this link, please check out the heading "Column 6 - Adjustments for current year acquisitions"

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4002-business-prof...