Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employee Benifits Box 85 not matching YTD on paystub

My husband pays 60 per paycheque for employee benefits, totaling 1,560 a year. Box 85 on his T4 has an amount of 312 in it. When he asked at work about this he was told that was just the taxes payed on the 1,560. Is this correct?

13 Replies

The amount in box 85 will represent what the company paid on his behalf, and included in box 14 as part of his employment compensation.

On the included page it states that box 85 is for Employee Paid Premiums, not employer. Also on page 16 of the attachment that I included, it states that the amount from box 85 is not to be included in box 14.

It is a taxable benefit.  You are paying tax on that amount...it is included in your compensation.   As you are paying tax on it, it is therefore considered your money and you are paying the premiums.  If you were not paying the premiums then you would not be able to claim it as part of your medical expenses.

Please note the following link, which states it is an EMPLOYEE paid premium which is reported in box 85.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/payroll/benefits-allowances/p...

I am yet further confused. Should the total YTD amount that was deducted from his paycheque be the total employee premiums paid in box 85, Yes or no?

Not necessarily.  If some of the amounts deducted from the paycheque were for Long Term Disability and/or life insurance, then they will not be included in box 85, as they are not eligible medical expenses.

Ok I'm not really concerned about box 14. I am more concerned about the fact that the YTD benefits deducted and the amount in box 85 differ almost 1,200. Is that what long term disability and life insurance cost?

He is paying for half, employer pays the other half. Seems steep to me.