Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim my child as my eligible dependant on my taxes if she has only lived with me 7 1/2 months of the tax year?

I have been separated from my spouse for 8 years. There has been no custody or child support ordered by the courts, thoughin 2018 I have started filing the papers regarding custody, child support and divorce. We have 1 child together. Our child has come to live with me this year and has spent 7 1/2 outta the 12 months (in 2017) living under my roof. I have been receiving child tax credits for this child since she moved in May. Can I claim her on my taxes?

1 Reply

Can I claim my child as my eligible dependant on my taxes if she has only lived with me 7 1/2 months of the tax year?

When both people are able to claim the amount for an eligible dependent, you both have to decide on who is going to make the claim.  If you are not able to agree, and you both make the claim, the Canada Revenue Agency will disallow it for both of you.  Please refer to the following link for further clarification, https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...