Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbotax automatically claims childcare expenses for each dependent child, but only one is in daycare. I think i can only claim for one child, how do i correct this?

Daycare expenses for one child are $17,000, but the other child was born in late 2017 so has no daycare expenses. Receipts have only been entered for one child but Turbotax is claiming $16,000 ($8,000 per child) in child care expenses. That doesn't seem correct but i don't see any option to change this?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax automatically claims childcare expenses for each dependent child, but only one is in daycare. I think i can only claim for one child, how do i correct this?

The maximum allowed amount for childcare expenses is based on the number of qualifying children in the family irrespective of whether or not any childcare was paid for all of the children. The software will correctly calculate the allowed deduction based on the ages of the dependents included on the tax return.

Having a larger family will increase the over all allowed deduction for childcare even if only one child has expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The maximum allowed amount for childcare expenses is based on the number of qualifying children in the family irrespective of whether or not any childcare was paid for all of the children. The software will correctly calculate the allowed deduction based on the ages of the dependents included on the tax return.

Having a larger family will increase the over all allowed deduction for childcare even if only one child has expenses.