Where must I declare my foreign business income which was won after I had moved from Canada permanently?

I’m a German citizen who resided in Canada for most of 2016 (January through July). I worked as a self-employed contractor. While in Canada from January through July, 2016, I had business income from my work as a self-employed contractor. Then, end of July, 2016, I permanently moved back to Germany. For the remainder of 2016, I worked in Germany as a self-employed contractor and thus had business income from this. I have not been back to Canada since.
As far as I understand, I have to input my German business income onto the form "Your residency" under "Income from Foreign sources, plus Canadian sourced Part XIII income, for the part of the year when you were not a resident of Canada.” I have done this.
My question is: where else must I declare my German business income (which, again, was won once I had moved from Canada and was once again a resident of Germany)?
Specifically, in your section titled “Income & work related expenses,” there is the question “Did you have other income that you have not yet told us about? Examples include scholastic, foreign, disability, alimony, child support, death benefits, and working income tax benefit payments.” I answered this with YES and checked the box "Foreign - Income from outside of Canada” underneath.
Now, when getting to the "Foreign Income” section and trying to add a new "Foreign Slip," there isn’t any field in which I can input my business income. The available fields are only: foreign employment income, pension income, investment income and "Other income (line 130)”. I read line 130, but it does not seem to pertain to business income (rather for special cases like tax treaties, scholastic income, etc). Should I note the income I won in Germany as a self-employed contractor in this “Other Income (line 130)” section?
Many thanks in advance for your time and help with this matter.


If you are a non-resident then you would report income only earned in Canada or connected to Canada. Are you filing a 2016 tax return upon leaving Canada?

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Tax Expert

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community