Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
gilmore1

Why when I enter only part of my 2017 tuition fees for the Manitoba advance tuition fee income tax rebate do I get an error?

For 2017, only the  part of your tuition fees before May are available for the tax rebate so when Turbo Tax flags entering only part as an error to fix, I don't think that's correct.

16 Replies

Why when I enter only part of my 2017 tuition fees for the Manitoba advance tuition fee income tax rebate do I get an error?

I will attach some screen shots to compare with the information you have provided to Turbo Tax. 

Do you have tuition fees for a program that started after May 2017?

Will confirm for you if the error can be ignored and still Netfiled.
d21foster

This error does prevent netfiling.  Please update the program to fix this error as it no longer applies, since we could only claim partial 2017 fees prior to May when this credit was discontinued.  The program only wants 0 or the full tuition fees for the year entered, which in 2017 isn't an option since the credit doesn't apply after May.  Again please fix this in the next update so those of us affected can netfile our returns. Thank you.
gilmore1

go to the slip screen for the T2202A, there is no place to enter a breakdown in fees for the part that was incurred before May if you are a Manitoba resident. You have breakdowns for other provinces but you need to add one to that screen for Manitoba residents. I'm guessing the screen shots you posted are if you are going through the interview process which someone who has used your product before and knows where to enter information slips probably wouldn't do so they don't see a screen like the 4th one you posted. That screen shot should be part of the screen where you enter the T2202A info and it's not.

Thank you for providing the Netfile error update. You scenario has been passed on to technical support for investigation and required fixes.
d21foster

Unfortunately it doesnā€™t let us netfile with this error, we tried with no luck.
d21foster

Unfortunately I donā€™t know how to show you a screenshot of this error, but as stated it canā€™t be ignored and still netfiled.  Is this something that may get fixed with an update or should I just print and mail the forms? Thank you.
gilmore1

Maybe I didn't make my point clear but d21foster summed it all up correctly. You can enter everything in the software correctly. The total tuition fees and the part that you are claiming for the Manitoba advance tuition fee income tax rebate BUT when you try and NetFile it, YOU CAN'T, because the software flags anything more than zero tuition fees and less than 100% of tuition fees as an error for Manitoba residents. The edit check needs to be changed to a warning or the input screen for the T2202a needs to provide for separate input of tuition fees paid to April 30th for MB residents like there is already separate input boxes for SK and ON residents