Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my wife lose the approximately $50,000 she has in Ontario education tax credits since we moved to Nova Scotia and she started work here in 2017?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Will my wife lose the approximately $50,000 she has in Ontario education tax credits since we moved to Nova Scotia and she started work here in 2017?

Your spouse will be able to claim tuition and education amounts transferred from another province in Nova Scotia. However you will use the amount of Federal Tuition carried forward as the Provincial tuition amount. Ignore the balance of the Provincial amount from the province of previous residence. (IE enter the federal amount twice)

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Your spouse will be able to claim tuition and education amounts transferred from another province in Nova Scotia. However you will use the amount of Federal Tuition carried forward as the Provincial tuition amount. Ignore the balance of the Provincial amount from the province of previous residence. (IE enter the federal amount twice)

Thanks for this. Can you just clarify, or if you can, point to official documentation, because from your suggestion, it sounds like we would have to claim federal twice, so the federal credits will go down twice as fast, but what happens to the provincial? Thanks!

To clarify you will use the amount of your Federal Tuition carry forward in place of the Provincial claim. There is no duplication of the deduction. You are entitled to a federal tax credit and a provincial tax credit. I the circumstance of changing provinces and tax jurisdictions you cannot transport provincial credits with you but are allowed to replace lost provincial credits with the federal amount in the new province. By way of example if your federal tuition carry forward amount from 2016 is $6500 and your provincial carry forward amount was $5500 you would now be claiming the federal amount as both your federal carry forward and your provincial carry forward to the 2017 tax return.