Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My spouse lived with me and i paid the rent, does that mean she claims it too? We both were on my disability cheque every month. We paid that together even

Social assistance for two people, but filing and claiming one residence, do we both claim the same amount paid to the landlord?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My spouse lived with me and i paid the rent, does that mean she claims it too? We both were on my disability cheque every month. We paid that together even

The Trillium Benefit calculation is done based on your combined income (you and your spouse) but only one of you should make the claim for it. Only one spouse needs to fill out the Ontario Trillium Benefit information and you should include the total amount of rent paid. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Are you entering your rent amount for the Ontario Trillium Benefit?

we both want to claim the rent amount for trillium.

The Trillium Benefit calculation is done based on your combined income (you and your spouse) but only one of you should make the claim for it. Only one spouse needs to fill out the Ontario Trillium Benefit information and you should include the total amount of rent paid.