Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of auto fill? I already used the auto fill feature, if we use it a second time, will it only down load the information that wasn't downloaded the first time?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Use of auto fill? I already used the auto fill feature, if we use it a second time, will it only down load the information that wasn't downloaded the first time?

Each time one downloads from CRA's Auto-FIll, all available information is downloaded.

If you made changes to an amount after downloading the 1st time, when you download a 2nd time, that amount will be restored to the original amount from the CRA.

But, it doesn't clear out things you might have entered fresh.

For example, you download a slip that has an amount in box A but nothing in box B. You manually change the amount in box A and enter an amount in box B. When you download a 2nd time, the amount in box A will revert to what it was before you changed it but box B will stay as what you entered it, because there's no amount downloaded from the CRA to override it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Each time one downloads from CRA's Auto-FIll, all available information is downloaded.

If you made changes to an amount after downloading the 1st time, when you download a 2nd time, that amount will be restored to the original amount from the CRA.

But, it doesn't clear out things you might have entered fresh.

For example, you download a slip that has an amount in box A but nothing in box B. You manually change the amount in box A and enter an amount in box B. When you download a 2nd time, the amount in box A will revert to what it was before you changed it but box B will stay as what you entered it, because there's no amount downloaded from the CRA to override it.

USER83

How do I turn off the AutoFill pop up screen that appears each time I open a file. Very annoying. It seems to me that there should be a box that you select so as not to see the pop up again. Not very elegant programming if you ask me.

Unfortunately, that is the way it has been entered in the TurboTax program. There is no way to turn it off.