Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edmondest

Can i not include my T2202A and just put it in my next year tax? or not to include it at all? because when i included it, ill lose my refund and have a balance owing.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can i not include my T2202A and just put it in my next year tax? or not to include it at all? because when i included it, ill lose my refund and have a balance owing.

NEW 2018: There have been some changes to the Tuition Credit on a Provincial level for Ontario and Saskatchewan for 2018 and New Brunswick as of 2017. Tuition is no longer a provincial credit for students in those three (3) provinces. 

Therefore, any Provincial amounts to enter the tuition transfer will not be available, as seen in previous years.

Here is a quote from one of my co-worker's here at TurboTax on exactly what you mentioned happened to you, I think she will clarify some things for you on not entering in your T2202A.

"I entered my T2202A amounts and my refund went down. What happened? Can I just leave it out?

When you begin your return, you usually put in your income first. Because most students have fairly low incomes, a credit known as the Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB) is automatically assigned if you meet the requirements. One of the requirements of this credit is that you were not a student during the year. As soon as you enter in tuition amounts, that credit is removed because you no longer qualify.

As tempting as it may be to not enter in your T2202A amounts to keep the higher refund, you shouldn't -- for two very important reasons:

1.  Compliance with CRA. If you were a student, you don't qualify for the WITB. Claiming the credit if you don't meet the requirements is considered non-compliance. Not only will CRA discover this when they begin their internal matching process and claw back that credit, you may also face interest penalties and fines. It's just not worth it.

2.  You'd be shorting yourself in the long run. Even if you don't need those tuition credits this year, they are a big cushion in your favour when your education pays off and you start making the big bucks. It's just not worth it."

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

NEW 2018: There have been some changes to the Tuition Credit on a Provincial level for Ontario and Saskatchewan for 2018 and New Brunswick as of 2017. Tuition is no longer a provincial credit for students in those three (3) provinces. 

Therefore, any Provincial amounts to enter the tuition transfer will not be available, as seen in previous years.

Here is a quote from one of my co-worker's here at TurboTax on exactly what you mentioned happened to you, I think she will clarify some things for you on not entering in your T2202A.

"I entered my T2202A amounts and my refund went down. What happened? Can I just leave it out?

When you begin your return, you usually put in your income first. Because most students have fairly low incomes, a credit known as the Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB) is automatically assigned if you meet the requirements. One of the requirements of this credit is that you were not a student during the year. As soon as you enter in tuition amounts, that credit is removed because you no longer qualify.

As tempting as it may be to not enter in your T2202A amounts to keep the higher refund, you shouldn't -- for two very important reasons:

1.  Compliance with CRA. If you were a student, you don't qualify for the WITB. Claiming the credit if you don't meet the requirements is considered non-compliance. Not only will CRA discover this when they begin their internal matching process and claw back that credit, you may also face interest penalties and fines. It's just not worth it.

2.  You'd be shorting yourself in the long run. Even if you don't need those tuition credits this year, they are a big cushion in your favour when your education pays off and you start making the big bucks. It's just not worth it."

Hope this helps.