Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LM5

Do I declare the portion I received when our house sold in 2016 if my spouse and I split in 2016, or the full sale price even if I didn't receive the full amount?

When declaring the proceeds of disposition of a house, if I separated from my spouse in 2016, do I declare the portion I received in the sale of the house or the full amount the house sold for?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I declare the portion I received when our house sold in 2016 if my spouse and I split in 2016, or the full sale price even if I didn't receive the full amount?

I'm assuming that you and your spouse each owned 50% of the house at the time you sold the house. 

In TurboTax Desktop, you need to declare the portion that belonged to you. Therefore, report the proceed and the capital gain (if any) that was associated to the portion that belonged to you (i.e. 50% of the house).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I'm assuming that you and your spouse each owned 50% of the house at the time you sold the house. 

In TurboTax Desktop, you need to declare the portion that belonged to you. Therefore, report the proceed and the capital gain (if any) that was associated to the portion that belonged to you (i.e. 50% of the house).