Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is it that after filing for moving expenses our return has jumped from 2,000 to over 9,000? This can not possibly be correct, what am I missing here?

Our moving expenses included such fees such as 20,000 in commission to our relators, 2500 in legal fees, and a 1200 penalty to our bank for prepaying the mortgage before end of term. I still do not feel like this would warrant a almost 7,000 return? I have correctly input all the fees and put that against my husbands net income for the job he moved for, the moving expenses are obviously less than his income, and therefore seem to be what they are using as the deduction. How?!

1 Reply

How is it that after filing for moving expenses our return has jumped from 2,000 to over 9,000? This can not possibly be correct, what am I missing here?

When you enter a large moving expense deduction such as yours (approximately $25k), you are reducing your husbands "Net Income", which greatly affects his tax payable.The reduction could possibly have placed him in a lower Federal tax bracket, and most certainly has in the Provincial tax bracket.

As long as you have entered everything correctly, TurboTax guarantees our calculations are 100% accurate.One thing when claiming a high moving expense deduction is to be sure you have all the documentation available if CRA requests to review it.