Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I rented out a house and bought some small appliances for it. Dishwasher is less than $500 CAD. Which Class for depreciation ?

I rented out a house and bought some small appliances for it. Dishwasher is less than $500 CAD. Which Class for depreciation ?  Can I use the Class 8 which is stated for Appliance for more than $500
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I rented out a house and bought some small appliances for it. Dishwasher is less than $500 CAD. Which Class for depreciation ?

You can add your dishwasher to Class 8 if you want.

The $500 minimum is really just for tools. However, many people use the $500 as an unofficial minimum for all class 8 items (and some other classes as well). So if an item costs less than $500, many people will just claim it as an expense in the year they bought it, rather than depreciate the asset slowly through CCA.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can add your dishwasher to Class 8 if you want.

The $500 minimum is really just for tools. However, many people use the $500 as an unofficial minimum for all class 8 items (and some other classes as well). So if an item costs less than $500, many people will just claim it as an expense in the year they bought it, rather than depreciate the asset slowly through CCA.