Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fyoussouf

For a Master's Program, a 6 week rural placement is required. Use of our own vehicles are required. Where can I claim a) gas mileage to/from placement b) lost wages?

I can only see that you can claim gas mileage as a business expense. While it is not a business expense it is a requirement for school - meaning you cannot pass the program without this placement. There is no public transportation that goes to these locations and so a personal vehicle is required.

There are 5 placements (each 6 weeks in length) required for the program. These placements required 40 hours per week of time, reducing my availability for work. How/where can I claim these lost wages?

1 Reply

For a Master's Program, a 6 week rural placement is required. Use of our own vehicles are required. Where can I claim a) gas mileage to/from placement b) lost wages?

Travel expenses can be claimed against a Research Grant if one was provided. Other wise expenses for use of personal automobile are not deductible to a student under any other circumstances and are simply considered personal expenses.