Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rohit37

Education Tax Credit carry forward? Don't want to use it for 2017. Where do I enter so they get carried forward? Currently, they're getting used up 100% & increase refund

I have a education tax credit forward from previous years. My 2017 is income is low and TurboTax is already showing refund to me without using any of those education tax credits. 

TurboTax asks me to enter tax credit so as to carry them to next year. When I do enter those credits, they are getting used up in whole and increases my tax refund. How & where should I enter those credits so I don't have to use them and just get them carried forward 100%?

1 Reply

Education Tax Credit carry forward? Don't want to use it for 2017. Where do I enter so they get carried forward? Currently, they're getting used up 100% & increase refund

Using the tuition education amount is mandatory if the taxpayer has taxable income. The tax credit system is designed around a particular ordering of deductions and even when you may have other credits (Medical) that you would rather choose to use instead of the Tuition amount the tax code prevents you from making this an option.