Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chevrier

I have over 150 unique option trades from a dozen companies using vertical spreads. Whats the best way to record my gains. T5008 or the capital gains section. Explain.

I trade derivatives (stock options) like vertical spreads and iron condors.  Over the year I have over 150 unique entries covering a dozen or so companies.  It's 6 pages of T5008.  

How can I easily report my capital gains without having to manually enter each unique trade.  Use the T5008 and add up the box 20's and 21's or can I use the capital gains section?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have over 150 unique option trades from a dozen companies using vertical spreads. Whats the best way to record my gains. T5008 or the capital gains section. Explain.

Use the Capital Gains section and simply record the aggregate of your Proceeds, ACB and outlays. Then keep your records for follow up should CRA ever ask to see a break down.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Use the Capital Gains section and simply record the aggregate of your Proceeds, ACB and outlays. Then keep your records for follow up should CRA ever ask to see a break down.