Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pbonnick

I am working temporarily in the USA so I am filing as a non-resident in the USA. A friend says I must mail my Canadian return instead of filing online. Is he right?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am working temporarily in the USA so I am filing as a non-resident in the USA. A friend says I must mail my Canadian return instead of filing online. Is he right?

You should contact the CRA non-resident inquiries department and ascertain your legal status in Canada (resident vs non-resident) so as to determine your legal filing requirements in Canada.  See contact info below.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/international-tax-non-resident...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
taxnano

What's your status in Canada, if you are a nonresident in Canada as well, then  your friend is right.
pbonnick

Short answer: I'm unsure. I live in the States now, but my wife remained living in Canada throughout all of 2017 and I spent more than 200 days in Canada in 2017. So does that mean I file as a Canadian resident?

You should contact the CRA non-resident inquiries department and ascertain your legal status in Canada (resident vs non-resident) so as to determine your legal filing requirements in Canada.  See contact info below.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/international-tax-non-resident...