Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I put in 4 years worth of HBP into the box "Enter the amount you wish to designate as a Home Buyers Plan repayment?" I've failed to fill this part in the past.

I took money out of RRSP under the HBP in 2013. I have a repayment system already in place with my bank. I have been receiving yearly income statement about my RRSP repayment and have been claiming as part of RRSP deduction. I realized now that I haven't been filling out the HBP section esp. the box "Enter the amount you wish to designate as a Home Buyers' Plan repayment". I want to make sure that the 4 years worth of repayment is reflected in the Notice of Assessment. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I put in 4 years worth of HBP into the box "Enter the amount you wish to designate as a Home Buyers Plan repayment?" I've failed to fill this part in the past.

If you failed to designate a repayment in prior years, the required repayment is added into your income as though you had withdrawn the funds in the year. 

Each year it is as though you had made the repayment so it is not like you need to catch up. The balance will continue to decrease regardless if you made a payment or not. 

There is no tax or financial benefit at this time to enter more then the designated required repayment.

In order to designate a repayment, you will need to have made RRSP contributions to cover the repayments. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you failed to designate a repayment in prior years, the required repayment is added into your income as though you had withdrawn the funds in the year. 

Each year it is as though you had made the repayment so it is not like you need to catch up. The balance will continue to decrease regardless if you made a payment or not. 

There is no tax or financial benefit at this time to enter more then the designated required repayment.

In order to designate a repayment, you will need to have made RRSP contributions to cover the repayments.