Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vantershe
Returning Member

What happens if a company deducted income tax and did not include it in the T4?

I live and work in quebec for an Ontario company. they only issued me a T4, however, they said that from January to October they did deduct the quebec income tax, but will not issue a releve 1 with the amount, how can I access how much was held at source so I can reduce my taxes owed? is that legal for them to not report income tax withheld at source?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

An Ontario based employer will deduct and report all taxes withheld on the T4 reporting slip for Federal and Provincial purposes. Review your pay stubs and reconcile the amount of tax withheld against the amount indicated on the T4. Quebec is a higher taxed jurisdiction then Ontario and it is common in your circumstances to have a balance owing in Quebec. If the amount indicated on your pay stubs is different from the amount reported on the T4 you can contact CRA for guidance in reporting the discrepancy and CRA will contact the employer. In the meantime, you will still need to file your tax returns prior to the filing deadline.

[Note: you can transfer a federal tax refund to a balance owing in Quebec under the "Provincial" tab > "Other Quebec Credits Profile" and then "Tax Transfer for Residents of Quebec", this can allow for a balancing of the amount of refund and balance owing.]

View solution in original post

2 Replies

An Ontario based employer will deduct and report all taxes withheld on the T4 reporting slip for Federal and Provincial purposes. Review your pay stubs and reconcile the amount of tax withheld against the amount indicated on the T4. Quebec is a higher taxed jurisdiction then Ontario and it is common in your circumstances to have a balance owing in Quebec. If the amount indicated on your pay stubs is different from the amount reported on the T4 you can contact CRA for guidance in reporting the discrepancy and CRA will contact the employer. In the meantime, you will still need to file your tax returns prior to the filing deadline.

[Note: you can transfer a federal tax refund to a balance owing in Quebec under the "Provincial" tab > "Other Quebec Credits Profile" and then "Tax Transfer for Residents of Quebec", this can allow for a balancing of the amount of refund and balance owing.]

vantershe
Returning Member

awesome answer turbo terry, thank you very well explained!