Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kathrynw1

** 2017 Tax Year Only ** BC fitness credit summary error?

I have 3 kids, for each I enter the children's fitness provincial credit amount of $500, the maximum for our province.  Although the total entered for all three is $1500, the summary page shows a fitness tax credit total of $2250.  If I test out entering just one child with the maximum of $500, it shows on the summary page of $750.  Did I enter something else on another line incorrectly?  I have seen similar questions from others but found no explanation - a turbo tax bug?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your entries are entered correctly, what you are seeing is the BC Children's Fitness Equipment Amount which is an automatic calculation made equivalent to 50% of the Fitness Amount you have entered.

The Children's Arts and Fitness Amounts are still available in British Columbia, Manitoba, Québec and Yukon for 2017.

• BC residents can claim a maximum of $500 for the Children's Fitness Amount plus 50% of that claim amount as the Children’s Fitness Equipment amount. 
  • BC Residents can claim a maximum of $500 for the Children's Arts Amount.

TurboTax will cap the amounts for you, and calculate the 50% for the Equipment amount, (as shown in the screenshot).

More information from CRA can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/tax-packages-years/general-incom...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Your entries are entered correctly, what you are seeing is the BC Children's Fitness Equipment Amount which is an automatic calculation made equivalent to 50% of the Fitness Amount you have entered.

The Children's Arts and Fitness Amounts are still available in British Columbia, Manitoba, Québec and Yukon for 2017.

• BC residents can claim a maximum of $500 for the Children's Fitness Amount plus 50% of that claim amount as the Children’s Fitness Equipment amount. 
  • BC Residents can claim a maximum of $500 for the Children's Arts Amount.

TurboTax will cap the amounts for you, and calculate the 50% for the Equipment amount, (as shown in the screenshot).

More information from CRA can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/tax-packages-years/general-incom...

kathrynw1

Ah, ok!  Thanks very much for your prompt and informative reply.  I recall reading something about that now but I assumed that I would have to ask for the 'equipment claim', not that it would automagically happen 🙂  Thanks again.