Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HW1
Returning Member

Can I claim the attendant care as medical expense rather than disability amount? Is there a maximum allowed on the expense? How do I do that in Turbo Tax?

How do I report that I am disabled but want to claim medical but not disability amount?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim the attendant care as medical expense rather than disability amount? Is there a maximum allowed on the expense? How do I do that in Turbo Tax?

Revenue Canada has on file that you qualified for the disability amount. Claim either the disability amount and a maximum of $10,000 of attendant care expenses. Or remove the disability claim and use all of the attendant care costs as medical expenses which ever works to your advantage.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Revenue Canada has on file that you qualified for the disability amount. Claim either the disability amount and a maximum of $10,000 of attendant care expenses. Or remove the disability claim and use all of the attendant care costs as medical expenses which ever works to your advantage.

HW1
Returning Member

If I want to remove the disability amount, do I override the $8113 by forcing it to zero in the form DTC?

Remove the claim for Disability from the tax return by double clicking on Line 316 of the Schedule 1. Then answer NO to claim the Disability.
Canuck1

In 2018, the question I am being asked is "Did you have a severe mental or physical impairment in 2018?" so I cannot answer "No".   Being entitled to the disability credit allows me to deduct certain nursing home expenses it is important that I answer Yes.   How can I override the Disability Credit so that I maintain my entitlement, but don't claim the credit?