Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gloria-R-
Returning Member

Can my husband claim both myself, and mother for our disability credits? need info on mother living in our home who a infirm dependant, caregiver deductions?

Having a hard time using this program this year, due to the disability tax credits, caregiver, caregiver Infirm, transfer pensions from your spouse.  I don't understand what numbers to enter into the Disability Transfer credit.  the program is using my disability credit amount and not my mother.  She has a low income and has already filed, but the program is not looking at her net income, they are looking at mine, because we are filing as a couple.   Also the numbers you are to enter into the boxes for example. 1. Child care and disability supports deductions claimed for (mother) by anyone? WHAT DOLLAR AMOUNT DO YOU ENTER INTO THAT BOX. 2. TOTAL OF SCHEDULE 1 LINES 300 TO 315 (THIS AMOUNT COMES FROM MOTHERS INCOME CORRECT?) 3. AMOUNT ON LINE 260 (THIS AMOUNT COMES FROM MOTHERS INCOME CORRECT?) 4. MOTHER'S PROVINCIAL PERSONAL AMOUNT FORM 428 FROM LINES 5804 TO 5840) which box number would I find that number under her filed taxes for 2017 Also, are there any other deductions we can use for infirm care givers?  With Mother living with us (my husband's mother), should he just file by himself with his mother,  and then I file by myself, would it make it easier?  HELP TIME IS RUNNING OUT.  Thank you

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can my husband claim both myself, and mother for our disability credits? need info on mother living in our home who a infirm dependant, caregiver deductions?

Hi there,

If you use the EasyStep (questionnaire) mode in TurboTax, you will need to add your mother as a dependent and on the Dependent Information screen and under Associated tax credit and select Yes for Caregiver credit claimed by another person, with the amount specified under the Disability transfer.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Hi there,

If you use the EasyStep (questionnaire) mode in TurboTax, you will need to add your mother as a dependent and on the Dependent Information screen and under Associated tax credit and select Yes for Caregiver credit claimed by another person, with the amount specified under the Disability transfer.