Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am receiving social assistance and my mom claimed me as a disable dependent, how does this affect my taxes?

I am on ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program). My landlord is my mother and she is claiming as a disabled dependent. Her permanent address is my address but she is not here all the time. She is telling me that I don't have to claim rent and that I will continue to receive Trillium. I currently pay her rent. What advice do you have for me? Is this going to affect my taxes in the future? Also, if I change my marital status, how is this going to affect it?
1 Reply

I am receiving social assistance and my mom claimed me as a disable dependent, how does this affect my taxes?

If your mother claims you as a dependant and claims the Canada Caregiver Credit or other disability-related credits for you, it means that no other person can claim this credit for 2017 (Something to keep in mind if you change your marital status next year).

In order to receive Trillium benefit payments, you must submit rent (and other) information on your tax return.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/provincial-territorial-progra...