Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: GST ITC's on my self employment home office expenses? My office is 10% of home sq.ft. do I claim 10% GST ITC's on hm expenses? 90% GST ITC's amount goes where then?

Can I include the 90% unclaimed GST amounts back onto my home expense totals? Or does that amount just become unclaimed?  Can I claim all the GST on Auto fuel receipts (eventhough I only drove for business 66% of total KM's on my vehicle?) So the remaining GST ITC amounts become unclaimable? or could they be rolled back into an expense somehow?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

RE: GST ITC's on my self employment home office expenses? My office is 10% of home sq.ft. do I claim 10% GST ITC's on hm expenses? 90% GST ITC's amount goes where then?

Every expense that you have must be prorated based on the amount used for business as you have indicated above.  Therefore if you only used 10% for your office then only 10% can be applied for your GST credit.  For your personal tax return you can add the unclaimed GST amount back to the total home expense as it is prorated for you in the software.

Same logic can be used for the fuel receipts.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Every expense that you have must be prorated based on the amount used for business as you have indicated above.  Therefore if you only used 10% for your office then only 10% can be applied for your GST credit.  For your personal tax return you can add the unclaimed GST amount back to the total home expense as it is prorated for you in the software.

Same logic can be used for the fuel receipts.