Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report sale of rental property?

6 Replies

You will need to report it as either a capital gain or loss.

In Schedule 3, you'll be scrolling down and looking for Section 4.
Here you'll enter the address of the property sold, along with 'Proceeds of Sale' (what you sold it for), followed by the ACB (what you purchased it for, plus the legal fees at the time) and lastly the 'Outlays and Expenses' (which are the legal fees and , say, realtor fees associated with the sale).  Enter the data, and make sure there are absolutely no errors. T/Tax will do the math and enter the figure in the last box, and will place the resultant calculation in boxes 136 and 138.
Check your legal paperwork and make sure you've got your sums right. Keep every piece of paperwork relevant to the sale of the property.

pdhTor

I do not see the option to enter the address of the property sold in the Capital Gains section. Where should I enter this info?

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online? And is it Free, Standard, Premier or Self-Employed/Home & Business?

I have the same problem and am using the turbotax Desktop Self-Employed/Home & Business

thanks!

zibmak

It is not possible to enter the address of the rental property sold. What should I do?

@zibmak Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?