Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question about older tax years that I didn't file.

Good day.

I'm looking for some advice, here's my situation, about 10 years ago I didn't file my taxes for a period of 3 years when I had no income at that time, I was just out of school during that period and didn't work and lived at my parents place.

I've called service canada and the person over the phone recommended that I simply file those years with a dollar amount of 0$ which is correct because I wasn't working at the time, now my question is, I've now moved to a different province, I used to live in Quebec and now I live in Ontario and my parents no longer live at the address that I used to at the time.

So when I file for those years, can I enter my current Ontario address even though I didn't live there at the time ? 

I'm basically just trying to file those years to get my GST credits for those years.

Thank you for the help.

3 Replies

As per CRA - You have up to three years to ask for a retroactive payment for your GST credit. Therefore you will not receive any credit for those years.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4210/gst-hst-cred...

I'm just curious on why would service canada tell me it was 10 years?

@thomas-sylvester - I am not sure- you may want to contact them once again and tell them what you see on their website- and if something may have changed which we aren't aware of.