Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian Forces member posted overseas: how do I file myself as a deemed resident and my spouse as a factual resident, per CRA determination?

As the primary filer and income earner, when I enter Deemed-resident on TurboTax, it automatically takes that for my spouse's profile as well, and does not permit me to enter her in as a factual resident (which she is considered). 

The response to similar question (https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1689807-can-i-file-a-joint-return-in-turbo-tax-if-i-a...) doesn't adequately answer the 'how' element of filling out the form given our different residency considerations.

Thank you.

4 Replies

Canadian Forces member posted overseas: how do I file myself as a deemed resident and my spouse as a factual resident, per CRA determination?

Unfortunately, if spouses have different residency statuses, separate returns will need to be prepared. If you have already paid for your returns, please contact our phone support team for a refund.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3288128

glaser2016
Returning Member

I am really hoping that you can shed some light on this situation as I am getting more and more frustrated by the minute. I have wasted so much time these last two days trying to figure this out. 

I am trying to prepare mine and my spouse's returns for 2019. He is military and we are stationed in the US (2018 was our first year with this situation but I am using TurboTax for the first time this year). I get that we have to prepare separate returns, which is fine. However, I am trying to work through the personal information profile. I haven't made it past the address portion as it asks for my mailing address (our PO box in ON), fine. But when it asks if my current province of residence is the same as above, I selected no. But it doesn't give me the option to enter anything other than a province (I need outside of Canada for our physical address). 

Please let me know how to proceed with this. This is the second day of trying to get things straightened out because of our situation (I am a CPA therefore I know the tax side of things, the program is what is the problem at the moment). I tried calling yesterday multiple times to get an answer about preparing our returns (prior to finding this Q&A). 

Thank you.

@glaser2016 Are you using TurboTax CD/Download? And also, what is your residency status? Are you considered a deemed resident?

glaser2016
Returning Member

I am using the online version.

I am a factual resident and my husband is a deemed resident.