Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mi_rjam

My husband and I own a house & rent out 2 rooms. I put down 50%, he pays the mortgage for the rest. I'm in a lower tax bracket, can I declare > 50% of the rental income?

Since right now, I outright own 50% of the house, but he owes most of it to the bank still - is it possible to take that into account when declaring rental income? Ideally I would declare 100% of the rental income - it's a legal short-term rental, I do all the work, but it's not business income as we don't provide meals and other services. Also, My husband is in a much higher tax bracket, so it would be much better if I could declare the rental income. Is that possible? Or do we have to split it 50:50 since that is how ownership is split, even if right now he doesn't own nothing outright?

1 Reply

My husband and I own a house & rent out 2 rooms. I put down 50%, he pays the mortgage for the rest. I'm in a lower tax bracket, can I declare > 50% of the rental income?

Based on the information you've provided, you would be considered to be a co-owner at 50%. To represent that fact accurately on your tax return, you'll claim 50% if the net (after expenses) rental income and your spouse will claim the other 50%.