Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I reported non-taxable reimbursed expenses on my T777?

I reported Entertainment, Travel & Meal Expenses that my employer reimbursed me for in excess of $6000 in 2017. The CRA is now requesting me to provide proof of these expenses and proof my vehicle expenses (log book & car expense costs). Now what will happen in this case? I realize i wasn supposed to claim it as it isnt taxanle (the reimbursed travel costs), so can i just call and admit my mistake and submit the rest? Will the CRA deny all my T777 claims, or will they just re-adjust my return and make me repay the amount oweing for the travel expenses? I also overstated my insurance deductions, but I understated my vehicle maintenance expenses.

1 Reply

What happens if I reported non-taxable reimbursed expenses on my T777?

Your best course is to redo the T777 claim and resubmit it with a note explaining your error. Mistakes happen!

If you were reimbursed for your vehicle expenses and the reimbursement was not included in your T4 income, don't include any vehicle expenses. 

Even if your full claim for vehicle expenses is excluded, it's still best to be proactive. You'll likely end up with a balance owing but it's better to take steps to correct the error yourself, rather than have CRA do it for you.